Conference Dinner: Restaurant - De Prinsenkelder
The conference dinner will be held here on the evening of 9th May.
The restaurant Prinsenkelder
2611 HS Delft
T: 015-212 18 60
F: 015-213 33 13
History of De Prinsenkelder
The ‘Prince’s Cellar’ has been housed in the vaults of the Prince’s museum in the centre of Delft since 1948.
The site has a long history. Created c1400, this cellar was a basement refectory, located under the ecclesiastical estate belonging to the female Third Order of St. Francis.
During the 80-year war it was made available to the Court of Prince William. On 10th July 1584, Balthazar Geraerts murdered William of Orange - founder of the Netherlands - on his way to the refectory. After the death of William of Orange, the buildings were used for the reception and accommodation of distinguished guests of the city of Delft, for holding a number of church synods and, finally, as a barracks.
In 1884 the decision was made to restore the buildings as a lasting monument. The restoration lasted until 1948. For centuries, the ‘Prince’s Basement’ has served as storage for wines and provisions: you can even still see the still meat hooks in the ceiling!